Monday, April 25, 2011

Teenager leaders retreat

The leaders of the teenagers group met together last weekend at Begnas taal, a nearby lake for a time of team building, planning and division of roles etc. God really prepared it all. They asked me to speak on team building. I had one day to prepare it and it all had to be in nepali - a test I don't think I passed very well. However, I initially talked about how we are a team, what is a team, how we have different gifts etc and need to work together. However, if there are a problems what the bible instructs us to do so that we can be a good, functioning team again.
Binai, the team leader had also prepared talks, unbeknown to me, exactly along the same lines so it worked well. We had a lot of fun trying to plays games where we all had physical ailments and had to work as a team to achieve the goal!


 We then talked about how we can use our gifts to help the teenagers in the church...

 No nepali program is complete without khanna (food). The specialty out at this lake is deedo. I hate it. It has the consistency of cold porridge, tastes like the sauce you have to dip it in to make it palatable and looks like dog poo - interested??? I had rice but the rest had it and loved it....




 Give nepalis a camera and they will pose for photos for hours!


 The group - normally girls and boys would stay together but they wanted tallest at the back - I was the tallest so had to go at the back feeling very culturally uncomfortable!
We had to leave to walk the 15 mins along the lakefront back to the bazaar (you can see the dirt road along the lake in the above photos) to get the bus and get home before it got dark. By this stage it was raining but I had bought a small umbrella with me in case this might happen.
I, with the two nepali friends pictured above were ahead of the group, we just got on the bus and there was an almighty crack of thunder. I was terrified, the kid next to me on the bus screamed, the nepalis shuddered and then I prayed that the bus tyres weren’t bald. We left, came home to see most of Pokhara flooded – hailstones the size of giant jaffas hitting our roof, bouncing 1/2m back up, going into the chimney and coming into our dinner!
The next day I found out that lightening hit Christians that were in a boat on the lake, 3 died and one swam to shore and is in hospital with heart issues!Our team was fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment